Wilhelm (later William) Steinitz (May 17, 1836 – August 12, 1900) was an Austrian and later American Chess Master player, and the first undisputed world chess champion from 1886 to 1894. He was also a highly influential writer and chess theoretician.
When discussing chess history from the 1850s onwards, commentators have debated whether Steinitz could be effectively considered the champion from an earlier time, perhaps as early as 1866. Steinitz lost his title to Emanuel Lasker in 1894, and also lost a rematch in 1896–97.
Ruy Lopez, Old Steinitz Defence
- Ruy Lopez: Steinitz Defence, Center Gambit
- 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 d6 4.d4 exd4 5.O-O
- Ruy Lopez: Steinitz Defence, Nimzowitsch Attack
- 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 d6 4.d4 Bd7 5.Nc3 Nf6 6.Bxc6
- Ruy Lopez: Old Steinitz Defence: Semi-Duras Variation
- 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 d6 4.d4 Bd7 5.c4